When I was a new real estate agent I remember thinking “how could a real estate agent work at this all day long?” What would I do to keep busy.”
Fast forward ten years and I seem to have no trouble at all answering that question. In fact, I rarely run out of real estate things to do in a day!
To give you and idea, here’s what I did yesterday:
- I attended a home inspection and termite inspection with a first time home buyer client down in Los Lunas NM. The sellers decided to stay for the inspection, which as the owners of the property is their right, I guess, but it always makes things little awkward. I told my buyers to be friendly but to absolutely not reveal anything personal or financial that the seller might use against them. I shouldn’t have to tell people that, but last summer I had a transaction terminate because a buyer client’s girlfriend came to a home inspection and told the seller how totally desperate they were to move out of their current house. When it came down to repairs after the home inspection the seller refused to perform. The other agent told me “we know your buyer’s are desperate, take it or leave it.” Although I tried to rescue it the damage was done.
- On the way back from Los Lunas I drove by two of my past client’s houses to see how the neighborhoods are holding up. One of the homes was in Fiesta, a Pulte neighborhood located just north of Main St on the east side of I25. The neighborhood looks great.
- On the way home I decided to stop by the new model homes at the Pulte Group’s Mirehaven new home community in NW Albuquerque. I toured the models, took a boatload of pictures, met with the sales people at Del Webb’s new 55 and older community located there too to get up to speed on what they have to offer (the models opened up about two weeks ago). Pulte’s models always look great, and although I’ve seen the floorplans before, I never get tired at seeing how they are decorated. After years of the same stuff, we’re finally starting to see some new colors and styles, including two beautiful light color kitchens. Not that I don’t like cherry cabinets and dark granite anymore…..When I got home I created a Pinterest board of the photos. I’ll be posting those tomorrow along with my post about Mirehaven (links will be added a that time).
- It actually feels like winter here this week with temps in the teens and twenties,so I stopped by one of my listings to turn up the heat and put faucet covers on the hose bibs to help keep the pipes from freezing.
- In between I watched an xCamp video on SEO Trends and Tips for 2015 and published it here, spoke with a seller client about extending their listing into the new year and sent them the paperwork to do it, compared estimates for having wood floors refinished on a listing that’s coming soon and made plans to market to a new NE Albuquerque neighborhood in February.
Yeah, you could say it was a busy day, full of all kinds of stuff. That’s what you do as a real estate agent, it’s not all about showing houses and writing contracts. A lot of it is time spent preparing for new clients and following up with old ones.