This year’s Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta begins October 1, 2011, and runs through October 9, 2011. View the 2011 Balloon Fiesta schedule.
Between the mass ascensions and special shape rodeos in the morning, the balloon glows (called Glowdeos) and the Afterglow Fireworks Shows at night, there’s going to be a lot of great entertainment at Balloon Fiesta park.
Whether you need a break from ballooning at some point during the week, or just in case there’s some bad weather and events are cancelled, here is a list of 7 fun things to do while in Albuquerque for Balloon Fiesta:
- Albuquerque Grecian Festival. Just called Greek Fest by most of us here in the ‘Burque, this is a popular annual event that features authentic Greek food and pastries, plus music and dancing. Greek fest runs Sept 30 thru Oct 2.
- Second Annual New Mexico Brew Fest. Sample 20 brews from New Mexico Breweries on Oct 8 from noon to 6pm at Villa Hispana at Expo NM.
- Albuquerque Corn Maze and Dino Hunt. Have a blast winding through the 7 acre corn maze at Rio Grande Community Farm. The maze will be open daily during the balloon fiesta.
- KayDee Balloon Fiesta Arts & Crafts Show. View local arts and crafts from 9am to 4pm at Hilton Garden Inn, 5320 San Antonio NE.
- Fall Indian Art Market. Open every day during the fiesta at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center.
- Take a Tour of Albuquerque’s Old Town. Learn some Albuquerque trivia and facts on a guided walking tour of historic old town.
- Ride the Tram to Sandia Crest. There’s no better way to see the city than from the Sandia Peak Tram!